Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Commonwealth Games 2010

Well, I guess the whole world knows about the Delhi CWG 2010 by now.
I've been wanting to do a post on them since a very long time but I just wanted all the matters to settle then and then commence.

Alright. So, today was the last day of school before Autumn Break was to commence. My English teacher was asking each one of us our plans for the autumn. When she asked me, I blatantly said, "Ma'am, Ill be going to see the Commonwealth Games" ..
To that, there was a response of utter preposterousness and ridicule by each one including my teacher.
She said, "I hope no tile falls on your head"

Now this really pinched me. Yeah, I know what the media has been saying for the past one month.
I've seen it all. At one point, I had started to lose hope but I still believed in my country.
The media hyped each and every negative aspect of the games and NEVER, NEVER EVER highlighted anything positive about the games.
The upgraded metro, the innumerous flyovers and bridges, the world class stadia etc.
Never did they do anything to promote and encourage an Indian athlete.
Yeah, I know an overhead bridge collapsed, a minor slab of tile caved in and there was grave criticism for the Games Village.
But which country and which event has not faced hiccups?
The International media never misses a chance to do some India bashing.
BBC World News went on a rapid rant about how awful the Games conditions' were and quoting all these comments by random what-not officials from Australia, NZ, England etc saying what a mistake it was to give India this chance to showcase it's progress.

We all should realize that there are ALWAYS two sides to a story.
http://commonwealthgamesvillage.in/
http://sports.rediff.com/slide-show/2010/sep/17/slide-show-delhi-commonwealth-games-village-suresh-kalmadi.htm#contentTop
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=128322373885609#!/album.php?aid=289638&id=7319903884&fbid=469892953884&ref=mf
Yep.


What upset me most is the perception of the Games created in the minds' of Indian people.
When BBC posted negative articles about the Games, I saw a lot of Indians saying, "OH, This is India" , "Nothing can happen here. It was a mistake" , "The politicians are so corrupt. Oh, this country is stupid"
HOW CAN YOU CALL YOURSELVES INDIAN? HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELVES?
I guess all of these so-called Indians should rather leave the country than rant about it incessantly on an international forum showing the world how disintegrated we are.
I defended the Games on and on in every forum. I tried to highlight every positive aspect and I didn't deny the faults which had emerged. That is because I believe in my country and I love it.

The Commonwealth Games were supposed to be about the spirit of sports, festivities, a platform to show that YES, we are emerging into the global scenario. Sadly, India's image has been marred.

Now, with just 3 more days for the Games. The International delegates and athletes are very happy with the whole set up. All of them giving a thumbs up to the village.
One of the British athletes said, "It's a world class village with excellent facilities"

So, you see now.
It's all about belief.

The Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010 WILL be a success.
India will shine.

No comments: