Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The experience that 2014 was.

I opened my blog today and realized the last time I wrote something was back in May and it was such a depressing post that I couldn't even read it again. What I also realized is that after that post, it has only been an upward curve for me. That was probably the lowest point of my year and I would never want to go back there. 
But after those deplorable initial months, I have encountered only strokes of luck and contentment. 

It all started with having the best summer of my life in New York City. It wasn't just a trip abroad, it was a journey of self-exploration and introspection with my whole perspective on things in life being changed. I spent my time there with the best people possible, lived dreams that I've had since I was a little boy and made friends who I've become as thick as blood with. I came back a changed person and a much happier person. NYC is not just a city, it's an experience.

And this year, has only been about experiences. 

That's what I learnt from my summer and that is how I strived to spend my year ahead. 

Experiences.
2014 was all about new experiences. I have had such brilliant experiences this year and this is why I feel so alive because I've lived so many times this year. 
Once you let go of something or someone that's been holding you back and making you unhappy no matter how much you love it, it only gets better. I finally let go of something that had been holding me back and keeping me down and miserable and I have only felt better and happier. 

Experiences. 

The experience of having flings and not losing yourself in someone for a change, the experience of meeting people you never thought would become so important in your life but they do, the experience of eating as much as I want without caring about getting fat, the experience of travelling with your friends and creating memories that you'd never forget, the experience of becoming an uncle to your sister's daughter, the experience of finding someone who you're so comfortable with, the experience of attending concerts of artists you are crazy about and living the dream. The experience of life.

Experiences.

We're always holding ourselves back from going out and experiencing what we've always wanted to do. Being careful, being cautious. And then, when you look in retrospect, you are filled with only regrets. 
What could've been of your year had you not held yourself back. What memories you could've had if only you'd said Yes instead of No. How impulsive decisions can lead to the entire course of your life changing. 

I don't like getting philosophical but it's true when they say life begins when you leave your comfort zone. 

I have had such a brilliant year. I have had the lowest of lows and the highest of highs. It's not just been a perfectly upward curve either, there have been a few bumps but isn't that all supposed to be a part of the experience as well?

Thank you, 2014. You have taught me a lot, made me mature a lot, made me go back in time a lot, made me cry & laugh a lot, made me love a lot and made me live a lot.


You were one dazzling experience. 

2015? Bring it on. 


No comments: